Sunday, July 15, 2012

Home from EVO and Lowe's Designer's Challenge

Hi everyone, I am back from EVO. Some people asked me what EVO is... Basically, it is a social media conference. I have never been to any type of conference before, but it was a great experience. There were somethings that I wish were different, but over all, I learned a lot, and met and mingled with many great people.

I don't have a whole lot of pictures, but I will post them in a separate post. One of the activities I attended was a hands on activity by Lowe's. It was Lowe's "Designer's Challenge". It was a totally new experience for me. Near the end, we were a bit stressed out, but it was a lot's of fun!


At 9 a.m. ET on Friday, July 20 the THREE TEAMS with the most LIKES will win Lowe’s Gift Cards!! Each member of the winning team will receive a $100 gift card, second place will win $50 cards and third will receive $25 gift cards.

Please help our team win the challenge by going to Facebook and "like" our project!

Little rant: There were some people left mean comments on Facebook about our project. Fortunately I haven't really dealt with negative comments before, this was a bit surprising for me. Seriously, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" doesn't apply anymore? What do you think?

10 comments :

  1. Don't listen to the negativity... those negative comments are from people who are miserable in their own life! You gals did a great job and I love your project! I'd happily hang it in my house- it would look lovely in my sewing room! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it's competition that's making the nasty comments? I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the rule I go by. All the best with your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, some people have no tact! I've seen negative comments posted on facebook before and I think it's so rude. I was also taught "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" but apparently some people forgot that lesson! I think the anonymity of the internet has led people to be much ruder than they should be! It's still important to be considerate and kind, even if people don't personally know you! I think you ladies did a great job and I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With 30+ years in graphic design, I've had to develop a thick skin to less-than-helpful, er, critiques. I deal by pretty much dismissing nasty comments on design as long as my character isn't attacked and there's no lying or manipulation involved. That's my Below The Belt line.

    That said, were any of the entries utterly spectacular and Pinterest-worthy? Maybe not, but Oh. My. Gosh...how many of us have participated in something with THOSE kind of parameters? In a competition? That would have national coverage? Under those circumstances, your entry was amazing - functional, nicely crafted, and completely unworthy of snarky comments.

    I hope you win. I voted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that your project turned out great. It looks like a really fun light to have around! Thanks for sharing! And I'm sorry about mean people. A lady yelled something rude at me last week while shopping, and it still bugs me. Sometimes people really need to think about their words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry people are being unpleasant about your project... I think it is lovely and looks like a lot of fun. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always been taken aback by people's lack of good manners. However, I would suggest you brush by negative comments and just move straight ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for your supportive comments! That alone really helps me to shake off the mean comments and move on.

    bbvp-

    I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. I am ok with constructive critisism, but mean comments are the ones that bother me. We only had an hour and a half from start to finish. I am not making excuses, but coming up with a design, and making something in such a short amount of time is much harder than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not surprised by the negative comments. I've seen it happen to often before. That's what a lot of people seem to do on social media platforms (especially FB).

    I figure it's because they have nothing better to do but to go around and rain on everyone else's parade.

    That and they can hide behind the computer remaining mostly anonymous. It's the society we live in now. People figure they're never going to meet you, or will only see you once or twice in person, so it's okay to be rude and obnoxious.

    That said, what goes around does come around, so they'd best be careful. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin